Sunday, July 20, 2014

Hi ho, hi ho, it's home we go. I've been in Frisco for the weekend with most of my family celebrating my birthday and I feel quite spoiled.. We sorely missed the Houston Alters. We've had unbelievably wonderful weather in Texas the last few days--some rain Thursday but never enough. But cool temperatures--a new record high (or low depending on how you look at it). Only 79 Thursday, in the eighties Friday and Saturday with cloud cover and a strong breeze.
Spent much of the day sitting outdoors. The rest of us didn't do much except say, "Can you believe this weather?" as we sat around. Jamie and Mel fixed a huge lunch--grilled sausage, sliders, chicken, peppers, and hot dogs, corn on the cob, great salad and fresh fruit--plus a few margaritas and, for me, a bit of wine. For dinner, barbecue, potato salad and all the trimmings. I'm sure I've gained five lbs. I fear I'm getting to the age where I'm not quite so fearless about divulging the truth--but here goes one more time. I'll be 76 on Tuesday. Amazing to think of because I don't feel that old--at least not most days. We were talking about what age we each feel last night--the kids mostly either feel like they're still n college or wish they felt that way.
Now in their forties (except one) and with children and careers and responsibilities, they are definitely not still in college. But as I look at each family and think how far they're come I am proud beyond words. They all have nice homes, good careers--they are conscientious and contributing citizens.
Me? I'm stuck in my thirties.
But the best part is they haven't lost their sense of fun, their love for their past. The most frequently heard words have been, "Remember the time when....." We've even started telling baby stories about the grandchildren.
We ended the day with concerts--a ten-year-old on electric and a fifteen-year-old on acoustic guitar. Hope the neighbors enjoyed the concert as much as we did.
 

No comments: