Saturday, July 18, 2015

A cooking triumph

I did it! I got a perfect sear on sea scallops for supper tonight. Sorry to be so excited about what may seem mundane, but it was a big deal to me. The trick with sea scallops is to get that brown crust on the outside without cooking the inside until it's rubbery. I did it tonight in a skillet with a little olive oil and a little butter--and high heat. Then it requires patience, but not much really. They sear within maybe three or four minutes; flip and let the other side sear and you're done. Maybe a little salt and pepper but that's all. I used to put soy sauce on them--now I wonder why I hid that delicate flavor. It was a perfect dinner--scallops, corn on the cob, and fresh fruit. A trick I just learned about corn--stick the whole thing, husk and all, in the microwave and cook four minutes. When it cools enough to handle, the husk and silk peel right off. It doesn't have that carmelized taste of corn cooked on the grill, but it's fast and easy. My fruit was blueberries, raspberries, and mango chunks. I don't buy whole mangos--they're so darn hard and messy to deal with, so I buy the already cut-up chunks. But sometimes I think Central Market chunks them before their time--these were a bit, uh, al dente. Darn, I should have taken a picture of this really good supper for one.
A nice quiet day--what with being gone two nights, running like a mad hen to do errands and meet friends for lunch and dinner yesterday I needed a quiet day. Went to the grocery and was astounded at how little I bought. Mailed packages at the post office, picked up some medicine to treat Sophie's itchy dry skin, and I was home for the day.
I've been working on second edits for The Gilded Cage--mostly pretty routine stuff by this point, like accepting comma insertions, changing figure from Arabic to written out, etc. So I take frequent breaks to read Grace Cries Uncle by Julie Hyzy.
I think one thing I learned on my ranch getaway was that I don't have to work every minute. I can take time to watch the cows or read a novel. So far, with two days under my belt, I'm loving it!

No comments: