Sunday, July 12, 2015

Random thoughts on a Sunday

Funday Sunday
 
Jordan, Christian and I went to Fuzzy's for tacos tonight. I've developed a craving for their ground beef tacos, since our Fuzzy's stop in Lubbock a couple of weeks ago. Jordan has apparently developed a craving for beeritas, which I have not. As shown above, I'm drinking plain old white wine. We went from the sublime to the ridiculous, because all three of us were in church this morning. Christian started his duties as an usher. Jacob is with his other grandparents, and we missed him--especially since he likes Fuzzy's. I came home and got lots of work done tonight--all those odds and ends--insurance matters, yet another letter to Canada, a myriad of details. 
I read a discussion this morning of the "F" word--no, not that one. "Fear" is the really powerful "F" word--it fuels hate, wars from local to global, all kinds of evil. And fear is too often born of ignorance--people fear what they don't understand, people who are not "us." How can we make people understand that politicians are fanning the flames of fear and hate? In Texas, it's Jade Helm--the coming "invasion" by Obama's troops, for which some unknown militia is prepared so we're told. On the national scene, Donald Trump, the most outrageous presidential candidate I can remember, is fanning the fear of Mexico and immigrants. I wish we could live in a world of peace and love, not fear and hate. Pollyanna speaks again. Significantly, the need for showing Christian love was the sermon topic this morning.
As most bibliophiles, I'm fascinated by all the hoopla around Harper Lee's new novel, Go Set A Watchman. Like others, I'm both dismayed and intrigued by the revelation of Atticus Finch as a racist.  I'm troubled by the stories that preceded the book--it's culls from To Kill A Mockingbird; it's unedited. Yet I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the first chapter, released online this weekend. It didn't,, as one essay pointed out, do a successful job of setting up plot structure, but it has its own charm. The big point that critical essay made to me was that we wouldn't give a fig about this new book if we didn't all love Mockingbird. I can't help thinking someone at HarperCollins is getting a huge career break for their masterful handling of the marketing campaign for this book, and probably a lawyer, whoever, is making a lot of money. No coincidence that publication was delayed until after sister Alice died. Alice looked after Harper Lee's affairs and resisted publishing this manuscript. I wish we knew how much Harper Lee is in control of her faculties--you hear different rumors. Will I read it? Not sure. My TBR list is long and this isn't at the top of it.
Right now, I'm going to read Grace Cries Uncle, by July Hyzy--favorite author, favorite series. Sweet dreams, all.

No comments: